Mold in Your Home - What to Know!
Significate mold clean up in Bellevue, WA home after roof leak. Tech is seen wearing a full personal protective equipment suit & using a Hepa Vacuum.
Mold is a very common household problem, it is said that over half the homes in the U.S. have some mold. Although unpleasant, mold surprisingly comes in a variety of miraculous colors including orange, yellow, green, pink, white, black, blue, and brown. Mold plays an important role in the outside environment by breaking down and digesting dead plants and organisms but it's not something we want inside our homes.
Bathrooms, showers, under sinks, behind refrigerators, in crawlspaces, and windows are just a few of the common areas mold likes to grow. Although, if given the opportunity it will grow anywhere. Mold spores thrive in warm, damp places and start out invisible to the naked eye at the size of just the tip of a needle! Mold can come inside a home from an outside growth through inadequately sealed windows or doors.
Although mold spores cannot be eliminated entirely, they will not grow in an environment that is dry and well ventilated. Growth can be prevented by drying wet areas immediately, preventing moisture with proper ventilation, and monitoring humidity within the home. Use air conditioners during the humid seasons and exhaust fans in kitchens and bathrooms.
Other areas to monitor moisture to prevent mold growth: exterior walls and surfaces in need of insulation where condensation can build, air conditioner drip pans, ensure crawl spaces are well ventilated, check for damaged seals around windows and door frames, and check for leaks around your refrigerator, tub, and sinks.
Make sure if you do spot mold and/or notice moisture in the area as well, never put a fan or any sort of air movement on the growth, this will only spread the spores quickly throughout your home.
These are a few simple tips for making sure mold is not growing in your home. If you do discover a mold growth, SERVPRO of Kirkland provides mold remediation services for all types of residential and commercial properties. Call us to schedule an inspection and discuss your options.
Does Your Kirkland Home Have A Mold Problem?
Mold discovered in Kirkland, WA home in crawlspace.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
· Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
· Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
· Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
· Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
· Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
· Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today at (425) 820-0080
Kirkland Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Mold growth found in ceiling at a home in Bothell after the ceiling was opened up to mitigate damage from a roof leak.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Kirkland for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Kirkland specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (425) 820-0080