Archived Commercial Blog Posts
Common Issues in your Commercial Property
An Inspection lead to a thorough cleaning of this commercial building. SERVPRO of Kirkland is here to help!
SERVPRO of Kirkland is here to help when an emergency arises in your business. We will be there fast with the help you need. Water, Fire, or Mold damage can be overwhelming for your Commercial Business. At SERVPRO of Kirkland we understand the importance of getting your back to your preloss condition in an efficient amount of time and to industry standards. Keeping your Commercial business safe and sound is necessary in operating smoothly. Many buildings have pre-existing small issues that have the capacity turn into larger ones if proper maintenance has not been maintained soon enough.
Here at SERVPRO of Kirkland we have highlighted some of the issues that occur more frequently in Commercial buildings. What to Expect with a Commercial Property Water, Fire, or Mold Damage.
What to inspect in your Commercial Property:
- Leaks – Whether you have a leak in your roof, foundation, or pipes, water can accumulate in areas of your building. Sedentary moisture almost always leads to rotting wood, foul odors, and mold growth.
- Asbestos – Although not used in construction anymore, older buildings may still have asbestos present. Exposure to asbestos is extremely dangerous and MUST be taken care of if found in exposed areas in your homes.
- Fire Safety Regulations – Make sure that your fire extinguishers are up to date and are in working order. Check your sprinkler system to ensure that in the event of a fire, they will work as intended.
- Electrical Faults – If you have older wiring in your building or have ever had a rodent problem, you should check for faults. Mice and rats tend to chew on wires, leaving them exposed and more likely to start a fire.
Tasks to expect from the SERVPRO of Kirkland Technicians:
- Detailed Cleaning – We will remove excess soot or other contaminants from impacted areas through HEPA vacuuming and dry sponge. SERVPRO Technicians clean your furniture, decorative items, curtains, clothing, and other restorable items affected by mold. They use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and sanitize your belongings.
- Selective Demolition – to remove unsalvageable materials or property. Removing and disposing of porous materials, like drywall and carpeting.
- Pack Outs – to remove salvageable personal property from the affected area for off-site cleaning and storage.
- Air Filtration and Flow Management – SERVPRO technicians utilize “Air Scrubbers” to remove airborne contaminants and soot. “Dehumidifiers” which remove water vapor from the air which lowers the humidity ratio. The lower the humidity the more it increases the rate of evaporation of moisture. “Air Movers” are used in water damage restoration to enhance evaporation at the surface level and reduce drying time.
- Deodorization – to remove or mask offensive odors and return the affected area to a usable space.
SERVPRO of Kirkland will respond quickly and get you back to preloss condition. We have the training, experience, and equipment to manage your commercial Water, Fire, and Mold Damage.
We are here for you 24/7. Give us call at 425-820-0080
Summer maintenance tips for your Kirkland Commercial business or home
Exterior Inspections are just as important as Interior Inspections.
Sunny weather is here and as you know in Washington it comes and goes fast. Take some time to spruce up your home or commercial business while it is nice out. Here at SERVPRO of Kirkland we would like to provide some maintenance tips that can help your Kirkland property.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts – pine needles, leaves and debris can build up in gutters and clog downspouts over the fall and winter months. When the rainy season hits, the clogs will cause water to pool which may lead to water damage, including damp spots, mold growth, dry rot, and peeling paint.
- Get your roof inspected – getting your roof inspected once a year is one of the best ways to prevent roof leaks. If you notice any loose tiles or shingles call a roofing company for repairs.
- Wash off your property’s exterior – the wet Washington weather can bring in dirt and moss to the exterior of your building. With a pressure washer, you can easily remove, dirt, dust, grime, moss and the like from walls, fences, parking lots, driveways, and sidewalks to maintain the outside of your property. While you are checking the exterior of your property check for rotted, dirty, or loose siding.
- Apply a fresh of coat of paint – this will boost curb appeal for your property. The paint will provide an resistant layer against the elements, and could reduce the need for major exterior repairs in the future.
- Clean up vegetation around the building – the summer months can be dry and the heat can make flames spread easily. Remove any excessively dry plants, and trim back bordering plants to avoid a preventable disaster. Add a layer of mulch if you have plants, the extra mulch will help fight off weeds and help your soil retain moisture during those scorching summer months.
- Get your deck inspected – Check your deck to see if there are any boards that look like they are rotting. Have them replaced. Hammer any nails that are loose. Take the extra step of checking if your deck needs to be resealed by pouring a little water on it. If the water beads into little puddles, you are good. If it sinks into the wood, you should get your deck resealed against water.
- Check for outdoor leaks – Check around your property’s outdoor faucets for any leaks. Check your hose as well because you can waste a lot of water if there is a tiny hole in your hose. Use electrical tape to repair any small holes in your hose.
- Inspect the caulking around the windows and doors of your home – Not only is this good to make sure when it does rain that the extra moisture does not come into your Kirkland property. You can keep ants and bugs at bay in the kitchen by adding fresh caulking to your windows and doors.
- Do a test of your smoke detectors and your carbon monoxide detectors – Replace batteries if needed.
- Get your cooling system ready – Consider getting your air-conditioning serviced if you have one on your Kirkland property. Proper air conditioner maintenance can help you AV last longer and prevent air conditioner fires.
- Change your Ventilation system filter – When dirt and debris clog up the filter, it can pollute the entire system, and cause a need for more repairs or replacing the unit. In addition, It will help give you healthy air quality in which will be good for anyone in your household who has asthma or allergies.
- Clean the dryer vent and exhaust duct – Clean out all the dust and lint trapped int the vent and exhaust duct. Clothes dryers can be a fire hazard if they are not cleaned and maintained. Get your washer and dryer serviced if needed.
- Get your chimney cleaned – You may not be using it in the summer months but that means they will not be as busy, and you can get that out of the way to use right away when the colder months come around. Regular maintenance is usually overlooked. However here are some reasons to clean your chimney this summer. Obstructions or cracks in your chimney can cause water to be able to get in which if not found can end up molding. As we all know in Washington when it rains it pours. Inside a chimney is dark and humid the perfect place for mold spores to grow and spread.
- Clean the baseboards of your home – Wipe away all dust and grime. This will also help you inspect the perimeter of your household to see if you need any repairs or maybe a small water spot you did not know was there.
- Check you Attic, Basement, and Crawlspace – Check in your attic for signs of dampness, mildew, leaks, holes in the roof, and pests. While you are in the attic make sure to check that the vents are not being blocked. You want to make sure that the proper air flow is going through as to not trap hot and humid air that could cause molding. In the basement/Crawlspace check for leaks, pests, mold, mildew, and any openings that are out of the usual.
SERVPRO of Kirkland is here to help with any of your Water, Fire, and Mold damage 24/7/365. If you have any of these losses in your Kirkland home or commercial business give us a call at (425) 820-0080.
Levels of Commercial Damage
We are available 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. Ready to help with any emergency!
One of the areas SERVPRO of Kirkland has the capability to handle is commercial damage.
There are many factors that can contribute to extensive commercial damage occurring such as fires due to unforeseen circumstances, facility usage wear and tear, down to the most basic of unexpected water damage. No matter what the source of the damage is, this downtime can be costly to your business and your customers. When unexpected damage at your commercial property happens, how do you know to what level and extent? Below we have described our grading system that we use to determine the level of which your property is assessed and categorized to begin mitigation.
Small commercial losses typically involve 15,000 square feet or less of affected floor space. If the facility was completely affected, small commercial losses may include but are not limited to, a stand-alone retail establishment, a small church, a daycare facility, a small shopping center, a small warehouse or manufacturing facility, or an administrative building. A Level 1 loss can also be a small portion of a much larger structure.
Midsize commercial losses typically involve 15,000 to 60,000 square feet of affected floor space. The building or buildings involved are usually multi-level or divided spaces. If the facility was completely affected, examples of Level 2 losses may include but are not limited to, a small multi-family property, a midsize church or school, a small shopping center, a multi-tenant administration facility, or a midsize warehouse or manufacturing facility. A Level 2 loss can often be just a portion of a much larger structure.
Large commercial loss typically involving more than 60,000 square feet of affected floor space. The building or buildings involved will normally be large multi-level structures. If the facility was entirely affected, examples of a Level 3 loss can include but are not limited to, a large church, hospital, school, or university; a large multi-family property; a mid- to high-rise retail or administration facility; a large industrial, manufacturing, or warehouse facility; or a large strip-style shopping center or shopping mall. At this level it would be appropriate to refer to the project as a “large loss.”
Once our experienced team determines the level of loss, the property is further assessed, and a strategic crew of appropriate size is dispatched to get the job done quickly and efficiently. If you have damage at your Commercial property...
Give SERVPRO of Kirkland a call at 425.820.0080
Steps to Prepare Your Business For Heavy Rains in Kirkland
Local Bellevue business flooded during a heavy rainstorm.
If heavy rains, river flooding, or other environmental acts are suspected, you may get a bit of a warning before high waters hit. When flooding is suspected for Kirkland, WA, you want to do whatever you can to get your commercial building ready for the potential damage. You don't always get a warning prior to a flood, so it's a good idea to use this time wisely. Consider using these steps to best prepare for a storm with high waters or river flooding.
Rearrange Your Equipment and Furniture
If there's a potential for storm or flooding damage involving high waters in your area, you want to do what you can to move your important furniture and equipment up high. You can rearrange in a variety of ways, including the following:
* Move as much as possible to upper floors of the building.
* Create stacks of furniture with water-resistant items at the bottom on lower levels of the building.
* Use watertight totes to protect files and equipment.
Moving around office furniture could help you save as much as possible. As you prepare to rearrange your space, think about the items will you be able to easily dry out and clean after a flood. Keep those at the bottom and move other, less water-resistant furniture and equipment first.
You can also try to make your building impermeable to flooding or high waters. Stacking sandbags near the doors and windows can help keep water from entering your commercial space. You can also build up a wall of sandbags around the perimeter of your building to help keep water away from the foundation.
Flooding can leave your building unrecognizable. That's why commercial building owners want to do what they can to stop water from damaging their building. If you were unable to prepare for flood damage, you can still call in a flood cleanup team to help you fix the problems caused by the high waters or river flooding.
Visit us at https://www.SERVPROkirkland.com/ for more information or give a call at (425)820-0080.
Kirkland Emergency Commercial Services
SERVPRO of Kirkland responding to a commercial loss in the local area.
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 At 425-820-0080
SERVPRO of Kirkland provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs. We have handled storm responses on all the major cities of the Seattle Eastside from Bellevue to Woodinville to Bothell to even as far north as Lake Stevens.
Have Questions? Call Us Today – (425) 820-0080
Your property’s appearance speaks volumes to your clients. When it’s impacted by fire or water damage, you need professional help. Every hour spent restoring your business is lost revenue and productivity. When you need professional cleaning or emergency restoration services, we have the training and resources to get your property back to business quickly. Learn more about our commercial services:
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
We are proud to be an active member of this community. SERVPRO of Kirkland is locally owned and operated, so we’re already nearby and ready to help Kirkland, WA residents, and business owners with any size cleaning or restoration emergencies.
We are proud to serve our local communities.
Restoring your Kirkland Commercial Property After Water Damage
Extracting water from a large commercial loss in Kirkland, WA
Flooding and water damage events at Kirkland commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Kirkland
SERVPRO of Kirkland specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Call us Today - (425) 820-0880