Summer maintenance tips for your Kirkland Commercial business or home
Sunny weather is here and as you know in Washington it comes and goes fast. Take some time to spruce up your home or commercial business while it is nice out. Here at SERVPRO of Kirkland we would like to provide some maintenance tips that can help your Kirkland property.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts – pine needles, leaves and debris can build up in gutters and clog downspouts over the fall and winter months. When the rainy season hits, the clogs will cause water to pool which may lead to water damage, including damp spots, mold growth, dry rot, and peeling paint.
- Get your roof inspected – getting your roof inspected once a year is one of the best ways to prevent roof leaks. If you notice any loose tiles or shingles call a roofing company for repairs.
- Wash off your property’s exterior – the wet Washington weather can bring in dirt and moss to the exterior of your building. With a pressure washer, you can easily remove, dirt, dust, grime, moss and the like from walls, fences, parking lots, driveways, and sidewalks to maintain the outside of your property. While you are checking the exterior of your property check for rotted, dirty, or loose siding.
- Apply a fresh of coat of paint – this will boost curb appeal for your property. The paint will provide an resistant layer against the elements, and could reduce the need for major exterior repairs in the future.
- Clean up vegetation around the building – the summer months can be dry and the heat can make flames spread easily. Remove any excessively dry plants, and trim back bordering plants to avoid a preventable disaster. Add a layer of mulch if you have plants, the extra mulch will help fight off weeds and help your soil retain moisture during those scorching summer months.
- Get your deck inspected – Check your deck to see if there are any boards that look like they are rotting. Have them replaced. Hammer any nails that are loose. Take the extra step of checking if your deck needs to be resealed by pouring a little water on it. If the water beads into little puddles, you are good. If it sinks into the wood, you should get your deck resealed against water.
- Check for outdoor leaks – Check around your property’s outdoor faucets for any leaks. Check your hose as well because you can waste a lot of water if there is a tiny hole in your hose. Use electrical tape to repair any small holes in your hose.
- Inspect the caulking around the windows and doors of your home – Not only is this good to make sure when it does rain that the extra moisture does not come into your Kirkland property. You can keep ants and bugs at bay in the kitchen by adding fresh caulking to your windows and doors.
- Do a test of your smoke detectors and your carbon monoxide detectors – Replace batteries if needed.
- Get your cooling system ready – Consider getting your air-conditioning serviced if you have one on your Kirkland property. Proper air conditioner maintenance can help you AV last longer and prevent air conditioner fires.
- Change your Ventilation system filter – When dirt and debris clog up the filter, it can pollute the entire system, and cause a need for more repairs or replacing the unit. In addition, It will help give you healthy air quality in which will be good for anyone in your household who has asthma or allergies.
- Clean the dryer vent and exhaust duct – Clean out all the dust and lint trapped int the vent and exhaust duct. Clothes dryers can be a fire hazard if they are not cleaned and maintained. Get your washer and dryer serviced if needed.
- Get your chimney cleaned – You may not be using it in the summer months but that means they will not be as busy, and you can get that out of the way to use right away when the colder months come around. Regular maintenance is usually overlooked. However here are some reasons to clean your chimney this summer. Obstructions or cracks in your chimney can cause water to be able to get in which if not found can end up molding. As we all know in Washington when it rains it pours. Inside a chimney is dark and humid the perfect place for mold spores to grow and spread.
- Clean the baseboards of your home – Wipe away all dust and grime. This will also help you inspect the perimeter of your household to see if you need any repairs or maybe a small water spot you did not know was there.
- Check you Attic, Basement, and Crawlspace – Check in your attic for signs of dampness, mildew, leaks, holes in the roof, and pests. While you are in the attic make sure to check that the vents are not being blocked. You want to make sure that the proper air flow is going through as to not trap hot and humid air that could cause molding. In the basement/Crawlspace check for leaks, pests, mold, mildew, and any openings that are out of the usual.
SERVPRO of Kirkland is here to help with any of your Water, Fire, and Mold damage 24/7/365. If you have any of these losses in your Kirkland home or commercial business give us a call at (425) 820-0080.